Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Research Blog #7: My Case

The point of my research is to present the arguments and possible causes in regard to the student athlete compensation debate. While I do have an opinion on the debate, I am choosing to withdraw it from my paper and remain as unbiased as possible and completely analytic. I would like the reader to draw his own conclusions based on the information I give about all angles of the argument. Amongst the two general arguments or "cases," there is one that supports the payment of college athletes and one that does not. The case that is against the compensation of Division I student athletes bases its beliefs of the idea of a term called "amateurism." Amateurism is a principle that the NCAA has upheld since the early 20th century and is loosely defined as the responsibility for student athletes to be students first and athletes second. That means they can not make a salary, have an agent, or engage in any other activities that mimic that of a professional athlete. The counter argument to this comes in the form of the second case. This case states that college athletes are being taken advantage of due to the huge revenues the NCAA generates for itself through tournaments and bowl games, not to mention ticket sales, video game licensing, and apparel (much of which uses the players' likenesses and names). Supporters of this case say that the NCAA has abandoned the idea of amateurism long ago, but keeps it as a principle so that they do not have to pay their athletes. While these two cases may be straight to the point, there also happens to be many other views on this debate that were discovered after some research and will be outlined in my final paper. For more information on these two arguments, I will post a couple articles that I used in my paper below.

http://www.usnews.com/debate-club/should-ncaa-athletes-be-paid/college-athletes-are-already-paid-with-their-education

http://thesportjournal.org/article/ncaa-division-i-athletics-amateurism-and-exploitation

No comments:

Post a Comment